The primary objective of the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) is to promote research in Social Sciences and to facilitate the utilization of its vast resources. The ICSSR has Six Regional Centres in India among which the Southern Regional Centre is one of them.
The major role of the Southern Regional Centre is:-
- To act as a representative of the Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi for the promotion of Social Science research and information centre for disseminating and implementing the programmes and the activities of the ICSSR to the social scientists in the region.
- To serve the requirements of the social science community of the region covering the states of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and the Union Territories of Lakshadweep & Puducherry.
- To award Short Duration Projects within the Southern Region.
- To develop documentation & bibliographical services in some of the South Indian Languages.
- To organize or to assist in organizing seminars/workshops/conferences in the region by Institutes, Universities and Colleges etc., and to arrange lectures by distinguished scholars.
- To provide facilities for accommodation to scholars/students visiting place for research work.
- To maintain a data library
- To award study grants to scholars for visiting libraries and institutions for research work.